Practice Areas

Central Illinois Family Law Attorney for Divorce

The first consultation with a lawyer is often the most difficult step. However, it is also the most important first step in making decisions that will determine your future — and the future of your family.

Marriages are usually worth saving, barring domestic violence, a pattern of substance abuse or other extreme circumstances. Five years from now, you want to be able to look back with confidence that you did everything you could to save your marriage.

If your sincere attempts at reconciliation have failed, the next consideration is whether an uncontested divorce can be successfully negotiated. You need the advice and assistance of an experienced divorce attorney. The team at Michael T. Mahoney, Ltd. can help.

You need 30 years of experience on your side.

Do not make the mistake of thinking you can successfully negotiate your own settlement and march into your spouse’s attorney’s office to sign papers without risking serious, unintended consequences. It may be too late to undo the damage after the judge approves the uncontested Judgment for Dissolution of Marriage.

Whether to sign an uncontested Judgment for Dissolution of Marriage may be the most important decision you ever make. Take this step only after consulting with an experienced divorce attorney.

Not every case can be settled. Over the past 30 years, we have successfully settled approximately 90 percent of the divorce cases we have handled (i.e., negotiating an uncontested final judgment to settle all of the issues, from property settlement to custody). The remaining 10 percent required a judge’s decision on one or more pending issues between the parties to ensure the proper protection of our clients’ legal interests.